We’ve come up with 14 ways to save this Valentine’s Day. We hope you take them to heart.
1. Spend time with each other instead of buying gifts: It’s often experiences and simply being together that bring happiness to those we love.
2. Cook up a little romance: Cook for your special someone or cook together. Try a new recipe or make your favorite dinner. Whatever it may be, it’s sure to save you some dough!
3. Get the best price on flowers: Your local discount grocer or wholesale club is sure to have florist-quality arrangements at a great deal. Ditch the red roses and opt for a less-expensive variety and arrange them yourself.
4. Rent or stream a movie at home instead of going to the theater: Between the tickets, popcorn, and drinks, a movie theater trip can be quite expensive. If you don’t have a subscription service already, renting a movie costs just a few dollars. Throw some popcorn in the microwave and grab a soda. What’s better than the comfort of your home, anyway?
5. Make your own card: Pull out the construction paper and get to work. Not creative? Sending an e-card is an option, too.
6. Write a love letter: Your love language doesn’t have to be words of affirmation to appreciate a well-written expression of love from someone you care about. Just grab a pen and paper and let the feelings flow.
7. Keep an eye out for romantic deals: Check out Groupon for discounts on dinner, couple massages, flower delivery, wine, and more.
8. Take advantage of what’s free: There’s free dates all around you! Consider a visit to a museum, go on a hike, attend a community event, etc.
9. Set expectations in advance: Make sure you’re on the same page as your partner. If a thoughtful love note will mean the world, you probably won’t be needing to buy expensive jewelry.
10. Have a game night: There’s probably a whole date night stashed in the closet. Pull out some games you haven’t played in a while and spend a night of quality time and laughs together. Just don’t get too competitive!
11. Take advantage of your gift cards or coupons: Maybe you have some gift cards lying around from the holidays or a coupon you’ve been holding on to. Everyone loves a good deal!
12. Pay down their debt: This one may the greatest – and smartest – gift of all. Instead of getting a gift, make a payment towards your loved one’s loan.
13. Celebrate on an alternate day: By just picking one or two days left or right on the calendar, you could save big on dinner by avoiding any drink and meal markups.
14. Frame a photo: It’s simple but bound to bring a smile to their face. Commemorate a good memory by printing out the photo and put it in a nice frame. Keep an eye out for a nice frame at a good deal.